[Mailman-Users] Debian Back-Port?

Hans Ehrbar ehrbar at econ.utah.edu
Tue Dec 9 20:44:57 CET 2003

Several weeks ago I upgraded from Debian Woody in the
following way: I put the following line into my
/etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://debian.jones.dk woody misc

If I remember right, this depository is maintained by
the same person who also maintains the
official debian packages.
Then apt-get update; apt-get install mailman
pulled in mailman version 2.1.2 for me.
(This is not the latest one, testing has already 2.1.3)

After installing mailman I commented that line in
sources.list out again and did another apt-get update,
because there are other backported packages at that site
which I did not want.

I have a simple setup with no virtual hosting, and
the only hitch for me was that
/etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py
needed a couple of additional lines,
I think one was

DEFAULT_URL_HOST =

I found out about this because I had another box with Debian
testing installed, which did not have an old version of
mailman but a fresh install, and I looked there to compare.
I am enclosing below the mm_cfg.py of the machine I
was talking about, then you can see what needs to be added.

I also had to create the mailman list,
but before adding the other lines into /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py
it wouldn't let me create any new lists.

Other than this it went smoothly.

# -*- python -*-

# Copyright (C) 1998,1999,2000 by the Free Software Foundation, Inc.
#
# This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
# modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
# as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
# of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
#
#
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.

"""This is the module which takes your site-specific settings.

>From a raw distribution it should be copied to mm_cfg.py.  If you
already have an mm_cfg.py, be careful to add in only the new settings
you want.  The complete set of distributed defaults, with annotation,
are in ./Defaults.  In mm_cfg, override only those you want to
change, after the

  from Defaults import *

line (see below).

Note that these are just default settings - many can be overridden via the
admin and user interfaces on a per-list or per-user basis.

Note also that some of the settings are resolved against the active list
setting by using the value as a format string against the
list-instance-object's dictionary - see the distributed value of
DEFAULT_MSG_FOOTER for an example."""

#    Here's where we get the distributed defaults.    #

from Defaults import *

# Put YOUR site-specific configuration below, in mm_cfg.py . #
# See Defaults.py for explanations of the values.	     #

DEFAULT_HOST_NAME = 'maillists.somewhere.com'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'maillists.somewhere.com'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'maillists.somewhere.com'
DEFAULT_URL       = 'http://maillists.somewhere.com/mailman/'
IMAGE_LOGOS       = '/doc/mailman/images/'
USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER = 0
DEFAULT_SEND_REMINDERS = 0

MAILMAN_OWNER     = 'mailman-owner@%s' % DEFAULT_HOST_NAME

# PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL = '/pipermail'
PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL = '/mailman/private'

# Note - if you're looking for something that is imported from mm_cfg, but you
# didn't find it above, it's probably in Defaults.py.

Hans G. Ehrbar   http://www.econ.utah.edu/ehrbar   ehrbar at econ.utah.edu
Economics Department, University of Utah     (801) 581 7797 (my office)
1645 Campus Center Dr., Rm 308               (801) 581 7481 (econ office)
Salt Lake City    UT 84112-9300              (801) 585 5649 (FAX)