[Mailman-Users] new trouble with existing lists

backdoc alias2 at crotchett.com
Mon Dec 29 02:15:21 CET 2003

Thank you very much for the help.  The problem was that I didn't have a 
mailman mailing list and I needed to start the mailmanctl daemon.

I wasn't aware of these changes to Mailman.

I have a new question, though.  Where should I put the 
"/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/bin/mailmanctl start" command in FreeBSD so 
that it starts on boot?


Jon Carnes wrote:
> Read FAQ 3.14
> It looks like either your cron daemon is not running (for Mailman
> versions 2.0.x and below) - or your mailmanctl daemon is not runing (for
> Mailman versions 2.1.x and above).
> Jon Carnes
> On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 10:29, backdoc wrote:
>>	Problem description:
>>I can no longer subscribe to or send mail to my lists.
>>	Here's some detail.
>> From the standpoint of being able to use the mailing lists (subscribe, 
>>post messages, etc), the lists had been working for several weeks. 
>>Then, spontaneously, all of the normal list server tasks quit working 
>>except for the web interface.  Attempting to subscribe to a mailing list 
>>results in a page that says a "confirmation has been sent ...".  But, I 
>>never receive that confirmation mail.
>>I have looked at all of the logs in /mailman/logs to see if I could see 
>>any references to my attempts to subscribe to the list.  But, I do not. 
>>    /var/log/messages does not show any references to Mailman either.
>>My mail server is Postfix.  It seems to operate normally in every way.
>>	Some possible clues:
>>I don't really have any strong suspicions that point to a particular 
>>culprit.  I don't generally muck around with my server except to keep 
>>the installed software up to date via portupgrade.  I don't really 
>>remember if the lists not working coorelates to running portupgrade. 
>>But, I don't think so.
>>Due to the fact that I own 2 domains and the domain name for the box is 
>>not the same domain name of the list I have created the lists for, there 
>>was a minor issue regarding the wrong URL showing up on the web 
>>interface portion of Mailman.  It was showing the box domain name as 
>>opposed to the list domain name.  The incorrect URL did not appear to 
>>have an adverse affect.  But, it was potentially confusing for users. 
>>So, I made a few attempts to correct it by altering the mm_cfg.py file. 
>>  In spite of some good suggestions here on the mailman-users list, I 
>>never resolved that problem.  Again, I can't associate Mailman breaking 
>>with attempts to fix the URL problem.
>>	What additional info can I give you to help you help me?
>>That's about all that I can think of to shed light on the problem.  Not 
>>seeing anything in the log files, I don't really know how to backtrace 
>>the problem?  Even though I don't feel like I broke it by editing the 
>>mm_cfg.py file or running portupgrade, I'm sure that I have somehow 
>>broken it.
>>Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
>>Mailman-Users mailing list
>>Mailman-Users at python.org
>>Mailman FAQ: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py
>>Searchable Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/
>>This message was sent to: jonc at nc.rr.com
>>Unsubscribe or change your options at
> ------------------------------------------------------
> Mailman-Users mailing list
> Mailman-Users at python.org
> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users
> Mailman FAQ: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py
> Searchable Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/
> This message was sent to: mailman-users at usmstudent.com
> Unsubscribe or change your options at
> http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/mailman-users%40usmstudent.com

More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list