[Mailman-Users] Mass Subscriptions -- HELP

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Feb 7 08:24:48 CET 2003

Yes to both questions (see below)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Warren Hoffman" <warren at whoffman.com>
To: <mailman-users at python.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 6:06 PM
Subject: [Mailman-Users] Mass Subscriptions -- HELP

> 1. We're migrating ~1500 users from Lyris - and half of them have digest
> specified. We have two files of subscribers - one with digest subscribers
> and one with everyone else. Can we 'import' the digest users in a way that
> the digest option is pre-selected (short of clicking each one on the
> membership page)? How? Ditto for some of the other options (like not
> getting mail from the list), but digest is critical.

Use the command line ~mailman/bin/add_member. You can specify a whole file
for digest users and different file for regular users.

> 2. We'd like to import real names for each user (which we have - in the
> files we extract from the old system). Is there a way to do this?

Put the emails in your file one per line - and use the syntax found in the
archives for adding the full name.  I'm away from the archives right now or
I would look it up for you.  It's something like:
  email at address.com (full name)

Or at least I think that is one of the many acceptable formats.  To be sure
look in the archives of this list.  I don't capture full name at my sites.

Jon Carnes