[Mailman-Users] Trouble getting htdig to work

Paul Kleeberg paul at fpen.org
Sat Feb 8 23:57:28 CET 2003

Hooray!  (And thank you)  It works!  ...but there is still a
troubling message...

At 6:23 PM +0000 2/8/03, Richard Barrett wrote:
>At 16:53 08/02/2003, Paul Kleeberg wrote:
>>I am attempting to get htdig to work on a RedHat 8.0 system with
>>Apache 2.0, htdig 3.2.0 and Mailman 2.1
>>
>>[install steps deleted.  PK]
>>
>>and then ran the indexing engine:
>>
>>   /var/mailman/cron/nightly_htdig -v
>>
>>and I get:
>>
>>   /usr/bin/rundig: line 48:  1104 Aborted       $BINDIR/htnotify $opts
>>   htfuzzy: Unable to open word database /var/lib/htdig/db.words.db
>>
>>but I would think htfuzzy should look in:
>>
>>   /var/mailman/archives/private/<listname>/htdig/db.words.db
>
>Have you checked out the section under heading "htdig Permissions
>Considerations"[...]

Guilty as charged.  I confess my eyes glazed over and assumed that
these would be correct given they were part of the RedHat RPMs.
Permissions corrected and the installation showed me a warning I had
not seen before in between the two lines that appeared once again:

   htdig'ing archive of list: <listname>
   /usr/bin/rundig: line 48:  1425 Aborted     $BINDIR/htnotify $opts
    Warning:
          The following is a lengthly process, but it is run only
          the first time you start ht://Dig. Initializing database...
    Warning:
          The following is a lengthly process, but it is run only
          the first time you start ht://Dig. Initializing database...
   htfuzzy: Unable to open word database /var/lib/htdig/db.words.db

Still that odd error.  Searching for the db.words.db file, I find:

   /var/mailman/archives/private/<listname>/htdig/db.words.db
   /var/mailman/archives/private/<listname>/htdig/db.words.db_weakcmpr

but the search appears to work and it appears to fuzzify it finding
"fancy or fancied or fancying or fanciness or fancier or fancies or
fanciest or fanciers" when searching "fancy"

>>In addition, when I look at the source for the search form on an
>>archive page I see <form method="post" action="/cgi-bin/htsearch">.
>>But on my system, htsearch exists in /usr/bin.
>
>[...]
>
>If all else fails, as root, copy htsearch into the web server's
>cgi-bin directory and make sure that it readable and excutable but
>not writable by owner, group and other.

I did what you said it appears to work.  However, since I continually
update my system with the RedHat up2date program, I do not like
having two copies of an executable unless it is necessary.  I know
there is a way I can alias it from the cgi-bin directory and still
have it executable even though it is outside the cgi directory
"blessed" by apache but I have to look that one up (unless someone
can tell me) :-/  I'm pretty inexperienced in all this.

Should I just live with the db.words.db issue?  Will it matter?

Thanks for your work.  This looks great.

Paul
--
Paul Kleeberg
paul at fpen.org