[Mailman-Users] Trouble getting htdig to work

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Feb 9 18:17:00 CET 2003

Having been through this recently at a site I help out on, I can attest
that for us, the drop back to HTDig 3.1.6 (away from the 3.2.b4) was
well worth the effort.

The indexing using v3.1.6 takes 4 minutes for this site.
The indexing using v3.2.b4 took over 40 minutes.

Using the new features for v3.2.b4 introduced some *interesting* and
flaky behaviors.  I ended up configuring it to not use any of the new
features and that returned some stability (and let it work with
Mailman), but it was still dog slow to index the site.

The only advantage that we found to the new v3.2.b4 was that it's index
files took up half the space of the v3.1.6 index files.  The space was
not a big deal to us.  The speed was.

It's interesting that Red Hat should push the beta out on a production
release.  I found it to be of less than production quality and highly
recommend that you remove v3.2.b4 and install v3.1.6 of HTDig.

Jon Carnes