[Mailman-Users] [2.x] Removing old archives

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Feb 9 18:38:39 CET 2003

The procedure is well documented in the archives:
   edit ~mailman/archives/private/<listname.mbox>/<listname.mbox>

When you edit this file delete any emails that you wish to remove from
the archives (normally folks delete the early emails at the beginning of
the file).

For versions before Mailman 2.1 you will need to backup and delete the
existing html archive files.
   cd ~mailman/archives/private/
   mkdir  <listname>.bak
   cp -a  <listname>/*  <listname>.bak
   rm -rf <listname>/*

Recreate the html archive files
   ~mailman/bin/arch <listname>

Note: the arch command for Mailman version 2.1 has the option "--wipe"
which if used will automagically remove the old archive files before
re-archiving the mail.

Note 2: archiving takes a long time and a lot of cpu.  If you have a lot
of mail in the archives be patient.

HtH - Jon Carnes