[Mailman-Users] more 2.1.x upgrade issues

Scott R. Every scott at blast.com
Tue Feb 11 21:06:39 CET 2003

getting this error when submitting a post to any list:
Feb 11 14:47:03 ov2 postfix/local[16243]: 7AB91804C:
to=<test_list at mail.emji.com>, relay=local, delay=0, status=bounced (Command
died with status 8: "/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post test_list".
Command output: Failure to find group name mailman.  Try adding this group
to your system, or re-run configure, providing an existing group name with
the command line option --with-mail-gid. )

now, we have recompiled mailman with every possible variation of
--with-mail-gid.  the group file looks like:
root::0:root
bin::1:root,bin,daemon
daemon::2:root,bin,daemon
sys::3:root,bin,adm
adm::4:root,adm,daemon
tty::5:
disk::6:root,adm
lp::7:lp
mem::8:
kmem::9:
wheel::10:root
floppy::11:root
mail::12:mail
uucp::14:uucp
man::15:man
users::100:games,scott
nogroup::-2:
mailman:x:250:
postfix:x:401:
nobody:x:-2:
postdrop:x:601:

postfix version is 2.03 and it sends and receives mail with no problem.  it
almost appears like mailman is having a hard time seeing the groups.  the
exact same packaged install is working well on another machine also using
postfix.  does anyone have any ideas on how to debug this?

how does one go about finding out what group a program(postfix) is running
as?

we have been working on this about 14 hours straight with no end in sight.
no matter what we try to --with-mail-gid, we get the same message when
posting to a list.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Scott R. Every   mailto:scott at blast.com