[Mailman-Users] Biographic data on subscription?

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Fri Feb 14 17:00:20 CET 2003

At 14:01 14/02/2003, Ignacio Valdes wrote:

>Since I didn't get a reply to my somewhat turgid previous question, I'll
>ask it again more simply: Is there a way to obtain user-entered biographic
>data on subscription that is web-accessible to the list admin? Thanks,
>
>-- IV

MM does not currently offer the ability to capture and store other than a
minimum of information for each subscriber.

All that is currently required for subscription is the subscriber e-mail
address with the option of add the user's "real name".

That's all the MM holds and all you can retrieve from MM

Referring back to your previous post, you could, for instance, implement a
subscription cgi script of your own and have that do the MM subscription on
behalf of the user while having your script save in some database the extra
information which MM does not want. You would probably want have some sort
of synchronisation process between the externally held data and the MM
subscription lists; for example, to delete subscriber related data if they
leave the list. But doing this may be a problem if you have restricted
privileges on the system concerned.

As an aside you might need to consider legal aspects of data protection and
privacy if you start gluing a database of info about users on the side of
your MM subscription list; well you would have to think about this if you
were going to operate the system in the EU or UK.