[Mailman-Users] Lists work, web doesn't.

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Feb 16 18:15:05 CET 2003

On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 11:38, Tess Snider wrote:
> On 15 Feb 2003, Jon Carnes wrote:
> > There are a bunch of things to check - and you have probably already
> > checked them:
> >  - rights on the complete directory structure for Mailman (check each
> > directory and subdirectory to make sure that apache can get to the cgi's
> > and the lists).
> I've used check_perms repeatedly.  There's a security cron job running
> on my computer currently which keeps aggressively switching the
> permissions on the mailman directory to something less dangerous, but
> switching the permissions back to what they're supposed to be doesn't seem
> to have any effect on the problem, whatsoever.  (I've tried it several
> times, out of exasperation.)
Hmmm, It's been awhile since I played with FreeBSD (I like OpenBSD a bit

It sounds like a rights problem.  Try commenting out the security job
for a bit and then opening up the rights on the whole Mailman directory
structure - just as a test.  In the past some folks running BSD have had
similar problems due to rights on the directory structure.

BTW: Mailman's check_perms program doesn't check the whole directory
tree, just the part from ~mailman on down.  If mailman's directory is
hung off an inaccessible root directory then external apps (like say
apache) could have real difficulty in reading your lists.

I'm guessing that you are not running the Apache server in a chroot'ed

Jon Carnes

More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list