[Mailman-Users] hotmail bouncing

David david at kenpro.com.au
Tue Feb 18 13:13:23 CET 2003

On 13 Feb 2003, Jon Carnes wrote:

> Some folks on the list have hypothesized that this is due to some spam
> rules setup on hotmail servers (but not consistent across all their
> servers).
>
> Try modifying SMTP_MAX_RCPTS (in the file mm_cfg.py):
>   # Ceiling on the number of recipients that can be specified
>   # in a single SMTP transaction.  Set to 0 to submit the
>   # entire recipient list in one transaction.  Only used with
>   # the SMTPDirect DELIVERY_MODULE.
>   # SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 500
>   SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 5
>
> If that works, please let us know.

SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 5 seems to have resolved the problem. The most recent
post didn't bounce.

OTOH, I've been having a few Hotmail people complaining that their emails
to me (not list related) have bounced. I even wondered if Hotmail had
blacklisted my domain in relation to this problem, but it's not uniform.
Most mail gets through, although some bounce - 550. Hotmail is very
frustrating.  If only no-one used it :(

I never have problems with proper mail addresses, either with Mailman or
normal mail.