[Mailman-Users] Approved: Header

Barry A. Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Feb 25 06:14:51 CET 2003

    L> I checked the FAQ for info on the Approved header, but although
    L> I found references to using it, I didn't find references to
    L> exactly HOW to use it.

    L> All I want is for a poster to a list to put an Approved line as
    L> the first line of the body and then have that line stripped
    L> before the message is passed to the list.

    L> How do I set this up and what needs to be on the approved line?

You don't need to do anything to set this up.

Say you have a list with an admin password of "geddy".  If a
non-member (or otherwise unapproved poster) sends a message to the
list with a regular mail header of

then the message, which normally would be held or bounced, goes
through to the list without moderation.  Putting that line as the
first non-whitespace line in the body of the message is equivalent.
In both cases, the header and/or body line is removed before the
message is forwarded.

"Approve: <passwd>" is a synonym.  Both the list admin password and
the moderator password is accepted.

Note that there's a related feature; if the header is Urgent: with the
appropriate password, then the message is sent to all members
immediately, including digest members (who get it twice -- once
immediately and once in the digest).

-Barry