[Mailman-Users] upgrade: 2.0.13 to 2.1, searchable archives?

Barry A. Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Jan 4 00:53:58 CET 2003

    JAE> I successfully upgraded from 2.0.13 to 2.1 today, with
    JAE> minimal fuss and pain.  Some comments:

    JAE> a) I can no longer get sync_members to work.  It always gives
    JAE> the following error:

Yep, known bug.  I posted a patch for this a few days ago.
Alternatively, you can grab the whole file from:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/mailman/mailman/bin/sync_members?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Drop this in your source directory, run config.status, and re-install.

    JAE> b) The ability to turn off RFC2369 mail headers on a per-list
    JAE> basis is a huge win for me, for a few cranky list-owners that
    JAE> hated seeing the list management stuff in Eudora.  Thank you,
    JAE> thank you.

You're welcome!

    JAE> c) The ability to turn off subscribe/unsubscribe passwords
    JAE> and/or list-owner confirmation on a per-list basis would also
    JAE> be a help.  After converting from majordomo to Mailman, some
    JAE> of my old list-owners hate the password thing, and so are
    JAE> less than happy with Mailman (I am however).

You know that you don't really /need/ the passwords much for
subscribes and unsubscribes.  Mailman will use mailback confirmations
for these actions if no password is given.  If users never want to
modify their options, they don't need to know their password.

I'm not sure what "list-owner confirmation" means.  Do you mean the
"Approve" option under the Privacy category for subscribe_policy?

    JAE> Question: How to I get searchable archives?  Like

    JAE> http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/

    JAE> for my own mailing-list archives?

You can try the htdig patches on SourceForge.  This is not officially
supported right now.

    JAE> How come this doesn't come as a part of Mailman?

I'd prefer a Pythonic solution integrated with Pipermail.  Lacking
that, eventually some kind of third party hook for external indexers
will likely become official.  I don't have any plans to distribute or
bundle something like htdig.

-Barry