[Mailman-Users] Re: Every day

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at pauahtun.org
Wed Jan 8 15:40:45 CET 2003

Hi All--

David Gibbs wrote:
> "Ivan Van Laningham" <ivanlan at pauahtun.org> wrote in message
> news:3E1C2D4B.10D42F2B at pauahtun.org...
> > OK, I solved my other problem.  But ever since I've installed and used
> > Mailman (three years), I've received these little notes from cron:
> > /etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch:
> > error: failed to open /etc/mtab for reading
> > Why is it trying to open /etc/mtab?  What possible business could
> > Mailman have with mtab (Redhat, 6.1, 6.2, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3)?
> What makes you think that message is coming from Mailman?
> That looks like a message from stock Redhat processes.

You might be right, but I never received those messages until Mailman
was installed on RH 6.1, and I have continued to receive them daily
through several changes/upgrades of RH to and including 7.3.  I think
it's perfectly normal to suspect something that was install the day
before the messages started.

Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours