[Mailman-Users] Further on Admin-only posting in 2.1

Mitchell Marks mitchell at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 8 17:42:59 CET 2003

(MM 2.1 on RH 7.2, Sendmail 8.11.6)

Hi,

We have a list, recently moved from 2.0.x to 2.1, which we'd like to keep
in "mostly-moderated" mode, with a couple addresses allowed to post without
requiring approval, and posting from members help for approval.  That's
been working pretty well with the method in the FAQ extract quoted below.

However, when a new member is added, her "mod" flag is off.  So new members
can post without a moderator approval, unless the admins remember to follow
up on new member additions by setting that flag.  It would be much nicer if
the default new member options could be set to have the "mod" flag on.  But
this doesn't seem to be available from the web admin interface, at least,
not among the default options shown on the General page.

I see there is a list setting "new_member_options = 256" for this
list.  Would the moderation flag be another option I could add into
"new_member_options"?  Are the bits of "new_member_options" the same as
individual member option settings?  Could someone please post or steer me
to documentation on these option settings?

Thanks,

Mitch Marks

The extract with the method we're following:

--
Mitchell Marks
CUIP Tech Coordinator    http://cuip.uchicago.edu

Telephone:  Ofc 773-702-6041
         Fax 702-8212
         Home (v.m. only, ok any time) 241-7166
Email: Primary address: mitch at cuip.uchicago.edu
         Alternate UofC addresses (use especially to report problems with
cuip.uchicago.edu): mitchell at cs.uchicago.edu and mmar at midway.uchicago.edu
         Off-campus (ISP) address: mmarks at pobox.com

First thing you learn is that you always gotta wait.
    --Lou Reed, ca. 1965

Email: Primary address: mitch at cuip.uchicago.edu
         Alternate UofC addresses (use especially to report problems with
cuip.uchicago.edu): mitchell at cs.uchicago.edu and mmar at midway.uchicago.edu
         Off-campus (ISP) address: mmarks at pobox.com

He was just a prawn in their game.