[Mailman-Users] cron daemon error

Aaron M Daley aaronda at freespeech.org
Wed Jan 8 23:07:21 CET 2003

I installed mailman on a new machine running redhat 8. That machine is also
running the latest 1.X apache and sendmail packages. Everything installed
fine. I copied over some other lists that were running on and older machine
and they show up fine on the admin page. I can configure them and
everything. All aliases are set up in /etc/aliases. However when I tried to
send a test message, it seems to go through fine, I get no emails saying the
the mail server rejected it or anything. What I do get is a constant and
steady stream of emails from the cron daemon all saying the exact same

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 222, in ?
  File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 203, in main
  File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 148, in process_lists
    conn, first, last = open_newsgroup(mlist)
  File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 75, in open_newsgroup
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/pythonlib/nntplib.py", line 111, in __init__
    self.sock.connect((self.host, self.port))
socket.error: (111, 'Connection refused')

I have no idea what this means. I'm pretty green when it comes to linux so
keep that in mind.
I do know what the cron daemon is and I did set up the mailman cron entry as
instructed in there install directions.

you can also reply to me directly at aaronda at freespeech.org