[Mailman-Users] cron daemon error

Keith Steward ksteward at keithsteward.com
Thu Jan 9 07:15:52 CET 2003

Aaron,

I saw a similar "connection refused error" when I did my install on a RH
7.2 system.  I added the address of the machine running Mailman to the
/etc/mail/access file as in:

 --- segment of access file --------------
	localhost		RELAY
	127.0.0.1		RELAY
	66.127.210.187	RELAY
 --------- end segment ----------------

Such that all 3 correspond to my Mailman host machine.  A good sendmail
installation will have RELAYing turned off by default, and so adding
entries like this to the access file turns it back "on" for those hosts.
Some of those addresses are probably unnecessary, and I'm not entirely
sure that that was what fixed the "connection refused" problem since I
did some other config things too -- but eventually things did work, so
maybe it was the solution.

Note that after your changes to the /etc/mail/access file, you need to
trigger the rebuild of the /etc/mail/access.db file for it to take
effect.  There should be a makefile in the /etc/mail directory that
should do it for you.

By the your efforts will be rewarded -- once Mailman is up and running,
you will be impressed with the functionality.  I was.  The install is
the only tricky part of using Mailman.

Good luck!

-keith s.