[Mailman-Users] AOL subscriber bounces

Gregory Woodbury ggw at wolves.homeip.net
Wed Jan 8 20:30:45 CET 2003

"It was written once upon a time (by Raquel Rice):"

> On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 12:13:23 -0500
> "Bob Puff at NLE" <bob at nleaudio.com> wrote:
>
> > I've noticed that a few of my list subscribers are using AOL's
> > functions to block email from certain senders, who are on my
> > lists.  So as a list admin, I get all these AOL bounces.  Is there
> > a simple script that can be used to direct these nastygrams bacl
> > to their AOL user, so that the user can get nagged instead of me?

> If it was my list, I would just write the AOL users and ask them to
> remove the block, and if they don't you'll have to unsubscribe them.
>
> --
> Raquel

Individual AOL users don't have the ability to control the block.  It's
AOLs inbound mail handlers that are determining that the source machine
is somehow "tresspassing" by not using the ISP outgoing mail servers for
access to them.

This particular "tresspassing by dial-up machines" meme has infected
several of the larger ISPs lately. Most notable are AOL and RoadRunner.
I had to start using a "smart host" for all my outgoing mail because of
this viscious meme.

--
Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury   `-_-'         Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us      U