[Mailman-Users] Passwords of members UPDATE

Steve Rifkin steve410 at cs.jhu.edu
Thu Jan 9 20:23:33 CET 2003

I recently installed mailman 2.1 (upgrading over our mailman 2.13) to correct a
problem with list admin passwords.

At the time of the upgrade, I was running python 2.1

Today I finally ran genaliases to modify the old mm list aliases for the new
mailman.

With the aliases in place, I sent e-mail to one of my lists... "newlist".

Instead of the message going through, I get back the following from the
mailer-daemon:

"|/users/rtfm/mailman/mail/mailman post newtest"
    (reason: 1)
    (expanded from: <newtest at cs>)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/users/rtfm/mailman/scripts/post", line 69, in ?
    main()
  File "/users/rtfm/mailman/scripts/post", line 64, in main
    tolist=1, _plaintext=1)
  File "/users/rtfm/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Switchboard.py", line 119, in enqueue
    msgfp = open(msgfile, 'w')
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/users/rtfm/mailman/qfiles/in/1042138477.3629709+2b891898799d3290ae81d057bdd6e8
2a56ffe112.msg'
554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 1

What is causing the above?

OK, so I figure, since I was running python 2.1, maybe mailman 2.1 would rather
me run python 2.2.2.

I then installed python 2.2.2.  Directly afterwards, I rebuilt (make clean,
configure, make, make install) mailman 2.1 again, and then, ran check_perms (and
corrected anything that needed correcting so that check_perms now comes back
clean.

Now, when I start to run the scripts/mailman script to startup mailmanctl, I
immediately get lots of messages that look like this:

# ./mailman start
cs:/users/rtfm/mailman/scripts:{153} Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/users/rtfm/mailman/bin/qrunner", line 77, in ?
    from Mailman.i18n import _
  File "/users/rtfm/mailman/Mailman/i18n.py", line 18, in ?
    import time
ImportError: No module named time
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/users/rtfm/mailman/bin/qrunner", line 77, in ?
    from Mailman.i18n import _
  File "/users/rtfm/mailman/Mailman/i18n.py", line 18, in ?
    import time
ImportError: No module named time
Traceback (most recent call last):

I get the above messages continuously.  What's happening here?

Mind you, when I had python 2.1 installed, I had no problem running mailmanctl
(except that mail sent to lists would yield the message near the top of this
e-mail.  With python2.2.2 installed, I can't even get mailmanctl to run
properly... or rather, whatever it's running is giving me the errors directly
above.

And remember, *after* I installed python 2.2.2, I *rebuilt* mailman.

So, what should I do here?

If python's an issue, I'll go back to python 2.1 and hope someone here can help
me fix the problem with the mailer-daemon message.  At least python 2.1, I could
run the mailman startup script.

(Note, the machine mailman is built on is Solaris 2.8.

Thanks in advance!

Steve Rifkin
steve410 at cs.jhu.edu