[Mailman-Users] Re: contents of qfiles/bad ?

David Gibbs david at midrange.com
Wed Jan 15 05:20:24 CET 2003

"John W Baxter" <jwblist at olympus.net> wrote in message
news:p05200f04ba4807d632c4@[192.168.1.50]...
> If you become root using su - and then su - mailman, what happens?
> Output of
>    whoami
>    pwd
>    ls -lad ~

/usr/local/home/david $su -
Password:
[root at linux root]# su - mailman
/usr/local/home/mailman $whoami
mailman
/usr/local/home/mailman $pwd
/usr/local/home/mailman
/usr/local/home/mailman $ls -lad ~
drwxr-xr-x    7 mailman  users        4096 Jan 12 15:22
/usr/local/home/mailman

> It looks as if the moral equivalent of that su sequence is failing,
leaving
> the process running as mailman but with /root as the current working
> directory OR as the directory referred to as ~.  Since mailman can't write
> files into /root (on any sane system), bad things happen.

I ended up switching the html converter to links ... which seems to be
working well.  No clue why lynks doesn't work.

david