[Mailman-Users] How do I set up virtual host/domain lists on same server?

Sheryl Coe web at reportica.net
Fri Jan 17 09:34:02 CET 2003

I'm relatively new here, but I'll take a stab... Maybe those with more
experience can tell us if I've got it wrong, or perhaps just right for my
server.

Setting up Virtual Hosts

The way to set up virtual hosts depends on your web server/mail server
combination. Look at the text files that come with the source of your
mailman install, especially the specific web server and mail server notes.

Here's my to-do list, with notes. Based on GNU Mailman Version 2.1/RH
Apache/QMail.

[That's my real first recommendation: upgrade to Mailman 2.1.]

1. Edit DNS. (Optional)

         Create a 'lists' subdomain for each virtual domain.

         You don't actually create a web page for the 'lists' subdomain,
just point it to the main domain. The name of the subdomain doesn't have to
be 'lists', other languages will work just as well. Snip...

         lists           IN      CNAME           mydomain.com.
         www             IN      CNAME           mydomain.com.

2. Edit Mail Server Routing

         If you set up a 'lists' subdomain for a virtual domain, route all
mail for the 'lists' subdomain to mailman. You will only have to do this
once for each domain. All subsequent lists for that virtual domain will be
taken care of. (We use qmail, I don't know if those instructions would be
useful to you, so I'll leave them out.)

         If you don't use a subdomain, you will have to set up a whole set
of addresses to be forwarded to mailman for each new list, people on this
list complain of other problems. [Don't go there, don't go down the hall,
don't open that door!]

         If subscribers complain about mylist at lists.mydomain.com, instead
of mylist at mydomain.com, then I just set up forwarding for that one address.

2. Edit Apache Directives (if not already set)

         This setting makes the archives work. Should be a default for new
virtual domains.

         Options      ExecCGI FollowSymLinks Includes

3. Set the Preferred Hostname

         Open the List Administration page:

         http://www.maindomain.net/mailman/admin.cgi/thelist/

         Edit 'General Options: Host name this list prefers for email.'
Enter the virtual domain and subdomain (if any):

         lists.foo.com

         You can't do this when creating lists

4. Visit the page for 'all lists' at the Virtual Domain. Just checking...

         You will see 'advertised' lists for that virtual domain only. You
can choose to advertise a list in Privacy Options.

5. Visit the List Information Page at the virtual domain. You are done!

______ Yes, Problems ______

Actually I'm amazed at just how few problems there are. The ones I note
here have probably already been discussed on this list...

1. The 'Evil Twin' List Info Page

Unfortunately, on my system, I can type in any of my virtual domains and
get any list page. They are not 'advertised' but the URLs will work if
typed in.

Luckily the page that is displayed will still remember it's proper domain,
and all of the links are right. If you can fix this, let me know how.

2. Namespace problems.

You can't have samelist at foo.com and samelist at fubar.com. They are working on
that. Don't use names that are even close to each other because of this,
and the 'evil twin' problem above.

3. Wishlist Item: Web-based new list creator should be virtual domain
sensitive.

New lists are all created at the main domain, the list creator should be
virtual domain sensitive. If I create a list from a virtual URL:

http://lists.foo.com/mailman/create.cgi

I'd like the preferred hostname reflect that virtual URL
(lists.foo.com).  But it doesn't.

So, the first thing you have to do for new lists is immediately edit the
preferred hostname.