[Mailman-Users] how to access mailman in web browser

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Mon Jan 20 16:07:44 CET 2003

Just some nit-picks on Jon's answer:-

On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 14:52, Jon Carnes wrote:
[...]
> If it is Red Hat then it was probably installed via RPM.
>
> If that is the case then you will need to do a lot to your system before
> Mailman is actually running. Start by typing in:
>   rpm -qa |grep mailman

You actually want
	rpm -qa | grep -i mailman

> This will spit out the exact name of the rpm that was used to install
> Mailman.  This will help you out with the next very important step...

The output would look something like
	mailman-2.0.13-1

There should be one and only one line of output - if theres no output it
wasn't installed with rpm, more than one and things are considerably
more complex and you may have a confused system....

> Since I do not want to re-type it all, I'll simply quote Jeremy Portzer
> from the archives (which you should feel free to search):
>
>   To find out information about an RPM's maker, etc., run
>   "rpm -qip filename.rpm" .  If you run that command on the
>   Red Hat Linux mailman-2.0.13-1.i386.rpm, you'll see a
>   bunch of EXTREMELY important setup notes -- things you
>   must do after installing the RPM.  Follow those
>   instructions!  Don't complain if you don't follow them
>   and stuff doesn't work!  *grin*
>
> Good Luck!

In this case you don't have the rpm package file to hand so you want to
get the data from the installed rpms database.  You use the same command
without the "p" modifier:-

	rpm -qi mailman-2.0.13-1

or just
	rpm -qi mailman

since you don't need to give it the version and release number

	Nigel.