[Mailman-Users] Trouble installing Mailman 2.0.13 - List works, Web doesn't. Alittle assist, please?

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 21 09:07:14 CET 2003

At 06:51 21/01/2003, Ghoti wrote:
>As the subject indicates, I'm having something of an issue getting the web
>interface to mailman working.
>
>This is my second try with this, and I'm certain this is something quite
>simple, but I'm stymied.
>
>I've followed the instructions to the letter, and even have several
>mailing lists working (I made two test lists, just to repeat the problem).
>
>For the longest time, I was getting 403 errors at all the web links in the
>welcome mailing.
>
>I think I finally got that fixed with the following instructions in
>httpd.conf:
>
>Alias /pipermail/ /home/mailman/arhcives/public/
>ScriptAlias /mailman/  /home/mailman/cgi-bin/
><Directory "/home/mailman/cgi-bin">
>   Options ExecCGI
>   AllowOverride None
>   Allow from from all
>   Order allow,deny
></Directory>
>
>Now, however, all web links yeild:
>
>Mailman CGI error!!!
>This entry is being stored in your syslog:
>
>Failure to exec script. WANTED gid 65533, GOT gid 72.  (Reconfigure to
>take 72?)
>
>The odd thing is, that's not Mailman's gid:
>[root at mydomain root]# cat /etc/group | grep mailman
>mailman:x:512:
>
>Group 72 seems to be Apache:
>[root at mydonain root]# cat /etc/group | grep 72
>apache:x:72:

That makes sense as the Mailman cgi scripts will be run with the group id
under which your server executes. What value is set by the Group parameter
in the web server's httpd.conf file; this sets the effective group id which
the server child processes and its cgi scripts run as.

>What am I doing wrong?  I've tried to peruse the archives (that, in fact,
>helped my 403 problem), but neuther Google nor the archives seem to be
>enlightening me that much.
>
>Can anyone lend a hand?  Thanks in advance!

re-run Mailman's ./configure as before and with the --with-cgi-bin
parameter set to the appropriate value and then re-run make install etc