[Mailman-Users] Help with sending HTML mail and using external weblinks for images

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 22 23:04:36 CET 2003

Yes. Marketing folks do it all the time.  If you want a live example of
an email that does this, just open up some spam from your mailbox and
peruse the source/content of the email.

Spammers us this technique all the time as a means of "registering" that
the email arrived at an actual email address and was read.  When a
person opens the email, their Email App does a web look-up and down
loads images from a website.  One of the image pull downs will reference
the email address (or group of email addresses) that the spam was sent
to.

This gives the spammers loads of info about the user:
  - verifies the email address as valid and used
  - indicates the users ip address, OS, and email client

Take care - Jon Carnes

BTW: Linux on the desktop helps break this "invasion" of privacy.  My
Evolution email client is set to "not" download images from html email.
Though I can click on the email and have it download if I want it to.