[Mailman-Users] domain restriction or wish list

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Fri Jan 24 19:11:00 CET 2003

At 16:22 24/01/2003, Dave  Stern - Former Rocket Scientist wrote:
>Is it possible to have a list that's only partially restricted?
>Specifically, I'd like a list that only people within our domain
>could post to.
>If this is not possible, then consider this for the next iteration
>of the mailman v2.x wishlist
>  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-  generated by /dev/dave
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>  David Stern                                            University of
> Maryland
>                 Institute for Advanced Computer Studies

Setting about this rather depends on whether acceptable and unacceptable
posters are going to be members or non-members of the list.

I would think that a judicious regex in one of the
hold/discard/reject_these_nonmembers field on the web
Privacy Options->[Sender filters] page could partially solve the problem:

For instance, I think this regex will only match, and hence cause to
discard, mail from non-members whose addresses in domains other than

But this would still allow posting by members of the list who are from
outside 'your.domain.com', which might also want to achieve.

Setting moderation for those not-in-your-domain-but-members-of-the-list to
On and setting member_moderation_action to hold/discard/reject should allow
a list which can have a mixed population but can only be posted to by
people in your domain, whether they are members or not.