[Mailman-Users] list of lists fodder for spammers?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Jan 26 19:27:03 CET 2003

I recommend that you front-end your mail servers with something like
Spam Assassin.  If you really want to be thorough you can use
Mailscanner with an anti-virus application that runs on Linux.
Mailscanner will then use the local anti-virus application to scan all
messages for viruses and then pump the remaining messages through a
SpamAssassin filter to look for Spam.

Every place where I've installed SpamAssassin has fallen in love with
it.  It rapidly moves from being something nice to have, to being a
necessity they can't live without.

As for the list names being mined for spam, I've found that the biggest
worry is the web-enabled archives.

Mailman's features can help a little against spam.  You can set your
lists so that they only accept mail from either a list member or from a
user on the local domain.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes