[Mailman-Users] Is Mailman right for my app?

Bobby and Denise bobby-denise at nova1.net
Wed Jan 29 04:50:19 CET 2003

I'm building a web application in PHP to upload multiple mailing lists via
text files and merge the addresses (eliminate duplicates) to create a single
list.  This final list will reside in my web db, and can have up to 50,000
email addresses.  Up to this point is no problem, but...

I need to then be able to create a mailing list from the list in my db
(preferably by writing to a text file), and launch a mailer to the list via
the mail server.   After sending a single message I no longer need the
list-- i.e. I can completely overwrite it next time, and someone else
manages opt-outs.  I would like to capture bounce info back into by
application db though.  My hosting company recommends Mailman.

Is Mailman the right mail server software for me?  Better than Majordomo and
Mojomail (also available via my host on my vps)?  I see the list mgmt guide,
but I don't need to maintain the list at all, nor do I need to send another
message to this list ever.  If so, where can I find the documentation on how
to create mailing lists remotely (with a web page)?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

--Bobby