[Mailman-Users] archive and .htaccess

Justin Georgeson jgeorgeson at unboundtech.com
Wed Jan 29 06:35:12 CET 2003

Keith Mastin wrote:
>>I have the 2.1-7 RPM from RedHat's Rawhide installed on RedHat 7.3, with
>>Postfix 1.7 (the RedHat 7.3 RPM, with some minor tweaks). It's mostly
>>working. I have a test list created with members subscribed, but the
>>archive doesn't seem to be working. From
>>https://server/mailman/listinfo/list/, I click the archive link, which
>>takes me to https://server/pipermail/list/ and I get back a 404 from the
>>web server. I have the Alias defined in my Apache config.
>>/var/mailman/archives/public/list[.mbox] is a symlink to the
>>corresponding file in the private archive folder. I think it's a problem
>>with either the Apache config (directory index diabled?) or file
>>permissions.
>

> I just went through this yesterday. The problem for me was that the group
> permissions were not set guid. I did chmod g+s and the archives were
> accessible after that.

Here is my global DirectoryIndex.

     DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.shtml index.php
index.php4 index.php3 index.phtml index.cgi

I just tried adding that to the <Directory> section for
/var/mailman/archives, with no luck. Here is the relevant config (which
gives me a 404 accessing the archive)

ScriptAlias /mailman/ /var/mailman/cgi-bin/
Alias /pipermail/ /var/mailman/archives/public/
<Directory /var/mailman/archives>
         DirectoryIndex index.html
         Options +FollowSymlinks
</Directory>
<Directory /var/mailman>
         AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>

>>I want to have the mailman site 'protected' with a username/password,
>>but am not sure where the .htaccess file should go to do this.
>

> It goes into the directory that you want to protect. This is not real
> protection, as the username/password pair are transmitted in plain text.
> Best to put the entire area under ssl and use mod_auth_pam to
> authenticate the users (if they are system users).

I don't have the MailMan files in the document root of the VirtualHost I
  added it to (the SSL enabled VirtualHost). So I added the <Directory>
tag for /var/mailman at the end of the config chunk above. That seems to
do it. :)