[Mailman-Users] Multiple messages

Tom mm at simpletcpip.com
Wed Jan 29 15:12:34 CET 2003

Simon White wrote:

 >29-Jan-03 at 12:26, Tom (mm at simpletcpip.com) wrote :
 >

 >>Hi All,
 >>
 >>I've had a quick search thru the list archives and can't find any
 >>problems that exactly match mine.
 >>
 >>Basically, any emails from a company 'N' to one of our lists cause
 >>duplicate messages.  It always seems to be 11 copies for some reason.
 >>All the message ids are the same, only one message appears in the
 >>archives, and the other members at 'N' only receive one copy.
 >>
 >>I'm using sendmail 8.11.6 and Mailman 2.0.11, but this problem has been
 >>ocurring since 'N' was given a list they could send to, and that was
 >>quite a few versions ago.
 >>
 >>There isn't anything particularly odd about the messages (they are also
 >>CCd directly to myself so I know it isn't chopping anything off)
 >>
 >>Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this?
 >>

 >What happens in the sendmail logs when the mail is injected? e.g. is it
 >sendmail that is creating dupes or mailman?

I may have been misleading - I'm not sure that sendmail has anything to
do with it really.  The mail gets to sendmail on the list server, there
are two entries there, one saying from xxx at N and one showing it being
piped to mailman/mail/wrapper post list

A few seconds later this shows up in the mailman smtp log
Jan 29 10:13:01 2003 (4859) smtp for 112 recips, completed in 0.315 seconds

After that point I have no knowledge as mailman is using an SMTPHOST (at
our internet provider) which I believe is exim but I don't know the version.

Once the mail comes back to our main mail server (Groupwise), the logs
show one incoming message from the list admin to each local member of
the list, which I guess is what you would expect.

 >Are you on the list, and do you receive the 11 copies? Or is it really a
 >screwed MTA somewhere else that is perhaps being strange?

I'm on the list and I get 11 copies (not including the one CCd directly
to me).  The strange thing is that messages sent directly from people at
"N" work fine.  Messages sent to the list from anyone else work fine.
  And after a bit of digging it seems that not all the recipients do get
11 copies, although I haven't been able to find a correlation between
those that do and those that don't - though it does seem to be a per
site rather than per person basis.

Hope that makes sense,

Thanks!
Tom