[Mailman-Users] 2 Questions

Peter Russell prussell at mteliza.com.au
Mon Jul 7 04:07:14 CEST 2003

Thanks so much for your reply - that fixed my url problem wonderfully.

Not being much of a Linux guru i didn't really want to patch and hack every
new version available, MM works now, and i don't really want to go breaking
it, which is what is likely to happen if i start trying to upgrade it etc
(it lives at a remote site also). Sendmail is also a relay for a couple of
other machines on the network.  I just thought if sendmail could do
something as useful as this, or if MM could write to the alias file then we
would have a user friendly system, but if we cant then i will get a test
machine going and try your method or get postfix working. I want to keep it
as simple as possible.

To me it seems like, if MM can write to an email and send the new alias
entries, surely it could append a few lines to the aliases file and run the
newalias command? Maybe this is a security concern? So maybe this could be
an at your own risk additional module type thing - seems to be a fairly
massive lacking in MM in my opinion. Means that you MUST have a system
admin handy to create new lists, to ammend the aliases file....

Thanks so much for your help
Pete

                      Richard Barrett
                      <r.barrett at openin        To:       "Peter Russell" <prussell at mteliza.com.au>
                      fo.co.uk>                cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: [Mailman-Users] 2 Questions
                      04/07/2003 02:43
                      AM

At 02:35 03/07/2003, Peter Russell wrote:
>1. When i setup the mailman box on the private network i used the private
>IP at the hostname etc - now i have gone back in and replaced everywqhere
>can find with the FQDN

You should only have had to change, in mm_cfg.py, the applicable MM config
variables described in Defaults.py. Typically something like what follows,
at the end of your mm_cfg.py, will do the trick:

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'your.mailhostname.tld'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'your.webhostname.tld'
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

Having done that, the $prefix/bin/withlist script $prefix/bin/fix_url.py is

your friend. Just run fix_url.py to get its usage.

If you are using the MM pipermail archiver with HTML archives, you might
also need to run $prefix/bin/arch if there is archived email with
attachments that have been extracted with links to the attachments left in
the email. These links seem to have the web_page_url of the list concerned
at the time the email was added to the archive backed in. Running arch
rebuilds these links.

>  - but still in  responses to mailman-request the
>original private IP appears - see below - where exactly can i change this?
>
>The results of your email command are provided below. Attached is your

You could take a look at $MMbuild/contrib/mm-handler which is a Sendmail
mailer inplemented in Perl which obviates the need for maintaining the list

aliases but subject to some fairly serious constraints.

There is a Python implementation of a Sendmail mailer with the same
constraints as mm_mailer (which are basically Sendmail constraints) but
which is more closely integrated with MM and which, I believe, is a more
robust solution; being the author of it I would think that. See:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=644810&group_id=103&atid=300103

For preference you should use MM 2.1.2 and download the most recent version

of the patch file which matches your MM version: currently
mailer-2.1.2-0.1.patch.gz

>Many thanks
>Pete

Richard Barrett
http://www.openinfo.co.uk

you are not the addressee (or responsible for delivery of the message to
the addressee), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such
a case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by
reply e-mail. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message
that do not relate to the official business of my employer shall be