[Mailman-Users] Return to performance

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Jul 9 18:04:05 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 11:36, Eric Miller wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> In my last post on performance you gave me a lot of good advice.
> Some things that helped:
>   Set SMTP_MAX_RCTPS back to default of 500 (I found a posting
>    that said 3 to 5 was better, must have been an old version)
>   Upped my RAM to 1.5 GB
>   Rearranged how the machine saw the internet so my firewall was
>     less of a choke on flow.
>
> I implemented all that I could and my send times are now down
> to from 5 to 30 minutes.  I'd like to see better.
>
> Some facts on my setup:
>
> OS: Redhat 9
> Mailman Version: 2.1
> Hardware: 2.5 Mhz Athlon
> Drive: Single 40 GB
> MTA: sendmail (default with Redhat) (SMTPDirect)
> DNS Helper: pdnsd
> Network Connection: Full T1 from Sprint
> Usage: Average 12 Messages a Day, 8 in a four hour window from 6AM to 10AM
>        Pacific Standard Time
> Subscriber: Around 2000, around 1/2 overseas
>

> When I check times I look at the time from when Mailman received
> the message till it shows up on my company mailserver (different machines on
> two different networks)
>
> 99.9% of my recipients are outside my LAN
>
> I am looking at disk utilization and see if that is hurting me as well.
>
> Something else that puzzles me is that some of the recipients seem to have
> very slow mail receivers, especially in India and China.  Is there a way
> to find slow connections and group them together so they don't slow down
> everyone else?
>
> Thank you in advance for any and all advice!  As I said earlier, this
> really is a very cool piece of software.  I just want to make sure I am
> getting the most out of it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Eric

Hmm, Well I'm probably one of the old curmudgeons that propagates the
   SMTP_MAX_RCTPS = 5
as being best for Sendmail.

If that doesn't work for you, then you might not like this advise
either...
http://www.trilug.org/~jonc/mailserver/PartIII.html

O Timeout.iconnect=5m - Used to weed out slow hosts. Definitely change
this. I recommend trying 5 seconds (O Timeout.iconnect=5s). This value
is the timeout for the initial connection. If it fails the initial
connection then it moves that host to the rear of the queue and when its
turn comes again in the queue it will use the more generic
"Timeout.connect" value.

O Timeout.ident=0 - You really want to check this and make *sure* that
it is zero, otherwise sendmail wastes that many seconds attempting to
use ident.

Jon Carnes