[Mailman-Users] Really Fustrating - Searchable Archives

Peter Russell prussell at mteliza.com.au
Thu Jul 10 00:18:39 CEST 2003

MANY thanks for taking the time to try and help me - much appreciated.

I suppose io want to emulate what list.org have on the mailman-users
archive. I hope i dont sound unappreciative, i realise that this software
(and all the patches and the support) are people investing thier own time
for little/no financial return - sounds like my job), i really do think
mailman is fantatsic, but these things are fustrating, especiually when
you see how good it can work when you see the searchabkle archives at
list.org - kind of expected to get that when i installed it.

Again many thanks in advance for trying to help me - answers to your
questiosn follow.
Pete

1. Both. Internet/international users and local 'staff'.

2. All public - we only have a handlfull of lists in mind.

3. Preferably i would like to keep the search specific to each list. But i
dont think this is essentail.

4. I dont have anything like that installed - i have mailman, sendmail and
apache. Except for a little bit of mail relaying for machines on our
private network, the mailman machine is dedicated to mailman

5. We only have a handful of Linux machines, everything else in win32 - my
boss beleives that linux is not mature or robust enough for enterprise use
:( In fact he says same about win2k and insists on using NT4 - i am sure
he doesnt even like that and would prefer we had %100 DOS environment. We
dont have any other linux machines running any kind of search software.

6. I dont completely understand this question - i want to be able to
search on the contents of the archive - the body/subject of messages.

7. Red Hat 9 and the mailman version that came with it, RPM - which is a
little bit of a hassle, because i am not an expert i dont know where to
begin in regards to recompile and apply tio RPM instalation - where as now
i know that with a little bit of effort compiling was easy enough on my
test machine. (i have a test machine i am trying to get this all working
on first)

8. I typed python and it returns 2.2.2 - it came with red hat 9

Richard Barrett <r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk>
10/07/2003 12:40 AM