[Mailman-Users] Another question.. hopefully more interesting :)

Glenn Sieb ges+lists at wingfoot.org
Sat Jul 26 19:30:44 CEST 2003

Heya Richard :)

Richard Barrett said:
> Before commenting on the detail of what you do I make the observation
> that using Secure HTTP and private mail archives are not the same topic.

This is correct, and a nice summary of SSL versus private archives, but it
has nothing to do with my question, unfortunately :-/

> You should read the comments in $prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py.

I will do so again, but Defaults.py can just read like Beetlejuice style
stereo instructions at times :-/

> DEFAULT_URL is obsolete and only for compatibility reasons, is defined
> as None in Defaults.py  and should not be defined in mm_cfg.py.
> There is not such animal as PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL in the MM lexicon. This
> variable is being completely ignored.

Ok, fair 'nuff. Things to note: I probably got most of these settings
either A) from reading this list or B) reading HOWTOs on the web... my
Mailman server has been up for a number of months now, and I don't exactly
recall where I got most of the settings I used.

> Private archives are served by a Mailman CGI script in file
> $prefix/Mailman/Cgi/private.py which is invoked (assuming a default
> install) by the URI /mailman/private

Correct--please note my question had to do with having one hostname behind
SSL, and others (virtual hostnames) not behind SSL. The installation as it
stands has been running for a while now and I have no complaints with it's

> This is no surprise as URLs for all Mailman CGI programs are formed

I still put the reference in, so you could see that I had taken the basic
logical steps in figuring this out. :)

> Which is a pretty good hint that you do not want to do this. Again read
> the comments in Defaults.py before you mess with this stuff.

Maybe what I can/should do, is, go through Defaults.py and see if I can
clean up the wording to make it easier to understand in those spots that
are clearly written by programmers for programmers? :)

> btw: I assume you are restarting mailmanctl running fix_url.py after
> fixing your mm_cfg.py.

> If you want to use HTTPS for private archives and HTTP for public
> archives, the simplest approach is to say:

This was not my question. My question was: Virtual Hosts. I have a primary
host (wingfoot), and others (domain2.org, etc). I apologize, but I thought
I had been pretty clear in that my whole question was that I wish
Wingfoot's Mailman to be behind SSL and the other domains Mailmans *not*
to be behind SSL.

So, is it possible to do what I need to in one instance of Mailman, or do
I need two instances of Mailman? And, if I do need two instances of
Mailman, is that even possible to do so on one box without them clobbering
each other?

Thank you!
The original portions of this message are the copyright of the author
(c)1998-2002 Glenn E. Sieb.    ICQ UIN: 300395    IRC Nick: Rainbear
"All acts of Love and Pleasure are Her rituals"-Charge of the Goddess