[Mailman-Users] Problems with user rights

Christian Schoepplein mail at schoeppi.net
Sat Jul 26 23:50:21 CEST 2003

Hello!

On Sam, Jul 26, 2003 at 10:26:41 -0400, Jon Carnes wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 09:59, Christian Schoepplein wrote:
> > After adding some virtual hosts to mm_cfg.py and restartting mailman, I
> > get the following problems with the user rights for mailman and postfix:
> >
> > ---
> > This is the Postfix program at host www.as-2.de.
> >
> > I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
> > below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.
> >
> > For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>
> >
> > If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
> > delete your own text from the message returned below.
> >
> > 			The Postfix program
> >
> > <blindzeln-mod at as-2.de>: Command died with status 2:
> >     "/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post blindzeln-mod". Command output: Group
> >     mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as
> >     group "nogroup", but the system's mail server executed the mail script as
> >     group "mailman".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as group
> >     "nogroup", or re-run configure,  providing the command line option
> >     `--with-mail-gid=mailman'.
> > ---
>
> Hmmm, Check the ownership of the alias file (the where the above alias
> is stored). Try setting the files group ownership to "nogroup"...

Thanks, the userrights of my alias.db-file really were the problem. But
somehow I'm confused about the groups and users I have to use, when
setting up mailman with postfix and apache :-(. In my case the following
envirorment is given:

httpd.conf:

	User wwwrun
	Group nogroup

>From postfix's main.cf:

	mail_owner = postfix
	setgid_group = maildrop
	default_privs = nobody
	owner_request_special = no

And from /etc/group:

	nobody:x:65533:nobody
	nogroup:x:65534:nobody
	mailman:x:500:
	maildrop:x:59:
	postfix:x:51:

[...]

> One of the first steps (after expanding the tar ball containing all the
> source code) to installing from source is to run the command:
> ./configure

Yes, I know, but what do I have to set for cgi-gid, mail-gid,
with-username and with-group? I executed configure with the following
parameters:

./configure --prefix=/usr/lib/mailman --sysconfdir=/etc
--localstatedir=/var/run --libexecdir=/usr/lib/mailman
--with-var-prefix=/var/lib/mailman --with-cgi-gid=nogroup
--with-mail-gid=nogroup

Is this OK or should I reinstall mailman with other settings?

> In your case you would include the switch:
>   ./configure --with-mail-gid=mailman

I tryed this but that caused problems like the one above.

> Jon Carnes

Thanks in advance for help!
Schoeppi

--