[Mailman-Users] messages stuck in /var/spool/mailman/qfiles

Abigail Marshall abigail at webfavor.com
Wed Jul 30 03:13:32 CEST 2003

Hello ben,

bs> Hello,

bs> I am having a problem with Mailman sending out messages.  It was working
bs> fine then stopped working about a week ago.  I have mailman installed on
bs> an unmanaged virtual host, and did not make any changes to mailman
bs> itself.

bs> When I send a message to any one of my lists I don't get a bounce or any
bs> errors, and it of course doesn't show in the archive.  The website is
bs> still up and all functions appear to be working.

bs> In the directory /var/spool/mailman/qfiles there are a large number of
bs> messages (all of them i think) (.msg and .db files).

bs> I don't know how to start and stop mailman, in my bin directory there is
bs> no mailmanctl file, but maybe that is only for older or newer versions
bs> of mailman.

bs> It is mailman 2.0.9 on redhat linux 7.3,

bs> If anyone can help please email me directly or through the list.

Do you have digesting enabled?

There was a bug in some versions of 2.0 that causes problems
because of some character created by some email programs.
Somehow things get messed up with the digesting, and
basically nothing happens.  I honestly don't recall specific
details, though I did submit a bug report on it ages ago. I
never did get it fixed - I just disabled digesting for the
list where it happened.

-Abigail