[Mailman-Users] ip_addresse rather than hostname in forms?

Richard Barrett r.barrett at ftel.co.uk
Thu Jul 31 16:11:22 CEST 2003

On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 02:05  pm, Kirk R. Wythers wrote:

> How can I configure a list to use an ip address in its listname instead
> of the hostname? For example I'd like all references to the list to be
> based on the machines ip address (i.e on the listinfo page "To post a
> message to all the list menebers, send email to
> name_of_list at ip_address,
> rather than name_of_list at hostname, or when monthly reminders go out to
> use name_of_list at ip_address as well.
>
> Is this possible?

I think you are going to be out of luck.

SMTP mail addressing is done in terms of domains, that is the FQDN of
mail hosts. For instance MX records are usually specified in respect of
FQDNs with nary a IP number in sight. This, for instance, this allows
mail hosts on private IP numbers to function  so long as some publicly
IP numbered mail relay with access to that internal network will relay
mail for the privately IP numbered mail host. Most MTAs check the
acceptability of domains in mail addresses by doing DNS lookup.

I do not think using IP numbers instead of FQDNs is going to work but I
am open to being corrected.

What problem are you trying to solve with your proposal?