[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.2, Postfix 2.0.13, virtual domains

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Jul 31 21:48:00 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 13:42, Glenn Sieb wrote:
> Jim Breton said:
> > I have set up the above on a FreeBSD 4.7 system with the intention of
> > being able to host per-virtual-domain mailing lists.
>
> Yay! Another FBSD user! :)
>
> > I want to be able to have:
> >
> > list01 at domain1.com
> > and
> > list01 at domain2.com
> >
> > as completely separate, autonomous lists.
>
> Can't do it :( It'd have to be:
>
> list01 at domain1.com
> list02 at domain2.com
>
> If Mailman had a little more (no offense, I just can't think of a better
> term to use) intelligence in it, when you set up for virtual domains it'd
> do things like create a directorynamespace like
> /usr/local/mailman/lists/domain2.com/, etc. so you *could* put lists with
> the same name in different domains...

Well, technically, you could have two or more parallel installs of
Mailman.  There are quite a few folks who do that when they have just a
few virtual domains to worry about.

Also, you can alias
  list01 at domain2.com ==> list01-domain2
And let the (hidden) real name of the list be list01-domain2.
Of course then you have to do a lot of editing of the web-pages to
display the domain information that you want.

That is the way I normally do it.  The webpages all aliases properly as
do the email addresses, so the end-user is non the wiser.

And yes, it sure would be easier if mailman used only the virtual host
information when setting up it's web pages and sending out its emails.

Good Luck