[Mailman-Users] Help! Mailman 2.1.2 problems - posts going out, but errors with scrubber

Tobias Eigen tobias at kabissa.org
Mon Jun 2 16:56:04 CEST 2003

First: Kudos to Mailman developers.

Next: my problem. I upgraded to Mailman 2.1.2 two weeks ago, and it appears to
be working perfectly, except that for some reason the last archive messages
were written last Tuesday. Even the mbox files have no trace of the messages
that have been going out.

Can anyone tell me what might be going on? It seems to be related to the
scrubber and handling of digests (which are also working fine), but I'm stumped
otherwise. Here's a related message from the error log:

Jun 02 09:44:19 2003 (8200) Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 105, in _oneloop
    self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 155, in _onefile
    keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py", line 130, in
    more = self._dopipeline(mlist, msg, msgdata, pipeline)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py", line 153, in
    sys.modules[modname].process(mlist, msg, msgdata)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/ToDigest.py", line 89, in process
    send_digests(mlist, mboxfp)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/ToDigest.py", line 130, in
    send_i18n_digests(mlist, mboxfp)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/ToDigest.py", line 303, in
    msg = scrubber(mlist, msg)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Scrubber.py", line 305, in process
    t = unicode(t, 'ascii', 'replace').encode('ascii')
UnicodeError: ASCII encoding error: ordinal not in range(128)

Jun 02 09:44:19 2003 (8200) SHUNTING:

I've got the scrubber disabled for archives, and am using mhonarc as external
archiver. Mhonarc has been working great for years, and all was fine with
archives until last Tuesday.

Any thoughts?

Best wishes,

Tobias Eigen