[Mailman-Users] does arch interpret mbox files or read them literally?

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 16:59:41 CEST 2003

At 14:10 04/06/2003, Adam Lipson wrote:
>Richards,
>
>Thank you that is very interesting and well worth knowing.  So, if one has
>an mbox file not created by mailman that they wish to create an archive
>file they must strip out all encoding somehow and make it into a txt only
>version if I follow your posting correctly.  If this is the case then
>there are a few options as I see it for those of us that wish to convert
>an archive of historical emails from a previous list:

I always figure if I explain the background people will find it easier to
understand the point I getting at. I have obviously failed in this endeavour.

Unix malbox (mbox) format _IS_ a text file format "a classic Unix-style
mailbox, where all messages are contained in a single file and separated by
"From "(a.k.a. "From_") lines." By definition mail travels as text using
mime encoding to things that cannot survive be handled as text.

$prefix/bin/arch processes such UNIX mailbox files and generates HTML
archives from them.

Just do what I said in my last response.

1. Prepend any historical mail you have in mbox format to the list's
$prefix/archives/private/<listname>.mbox/<listname>.mbox) file; just glue
the old and new together. That will give a "complete" mbox archive for the
list.

2. Then run $prefix/bin/arch --wipe <listname>. This will generate the HTML
archive for the list.

That is all you should need to do.

Subsequent postings to the list will be automatically added to the list's
mbox file and its HTML archive by MM's builin archiver.

>1) find some sort of parser that will scrub out the mime encoding

You should not need to do that. MM 2.1.2 will deal with mime encoded
attachments in the list's mbox archive file in just the same way as it
handles them in new postings to a list.

>2) use an alternative program for the archives.  My guess is this is the
>best way to go and to use something like MHonArc that is designed for this
>and let the list server do a great job at being a list server and an
>archive management program do the archiving.

I have nothing against MHonArc but without trying it how can you conclude
that Mailman's builtin pipermail archiver cannot meet your needs. The
process of MM ingesting existing mbox format archives is really quite
straightforward. It should be quicker than installing and setting up
MHonArc to work properly.

>Please let me know if I did not get your message straight.

See above.