[Mailman-Users] How do I Modify welcome message ?

Todd Freedom_Lover at pobox.com
Wed Jun 4 18:51:49 CEST 2003

phf1 at free.fr wrote:
> I would like to simplify the welcome message generated by Mailman.
> What do I have to do?

What version of Mailman?  It's slightly different in 2.0 and 2.1.  I'll
assume 2.1, since that's the latest stable.  Check the archives for details
on 2.0.

Here's the explanation in the comments of Mailman/Utils.py:

    # When looking for a template in a specific language, there are 4 places
    # that are searched, in this order:
    # 1. the list-specific language directory
    #    lists/<listname>/<language>
    # 2. the domain-specific language directory
    #    templates/<list.host_name>/<language>
    # 3. the site-wide language directory
    #    templates/site/<language>
    # 4. the global default language directory
    #    templates/<language>

> A second question: the archives when they are private, they are visible, but
> when they are public, I get the followiong error:
> "
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access /pipermail/fede-scop/ on this server."
> What do I have to do to make the archives public ?

Did you add the apache directives as the INSTALL file instructs?  Something
like this:

    Alias /pipermail/ $varprefix/archives/public/

Here's what I have for the archives in my httpd.conf:

    Alias /pipermail/ /var/mailman/archives/public/
    <Directory /var/mailman/archives>
        Options +FollowSymlinks

- --
Todd              OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xD654075A | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
When you make a mistake, make amends immediately.
It's easier to eat crow while it's still warm.

Version: GnuPG v1.2.2 (GNU/Linux)