[Mailman-Users] external archiver second time

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Tue Jun 17 16:22:15 CEST 2003

At 12:58 17/06/2003, Jonas Meurer wrote:

>*** PGP Signature Status: unknown
>*** Signer: Unknown, Key ID xE25F2102
>*** Signed: 17/06/2003 12:58:35
>*** Verified: 17/06/2003 14:21:59
>*** BEGIN PGP VERIFIED MESSAGE ***
>
>On 17/06/2003 Richard Barrett wrote:
> > >i still have in my mm_cfg.py:
> > >PUBLIC_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER = 'lurker-index -l `lurker-list -c
> > >/etc/lurker/lurker.conf | grep -B2 "^%(listname)s$"| head -n1` -m'
> >
> > From a quick glance at the documentation files accompanying the lurker
> > release 0.90 on sourceforge I would have thought that the following line
> > would do it:
> >
> > PUBLIC_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER = 'lurker-index -l %(listname}s -c
> > /etc/lurker/lurker.conf -m'
> >
> > For example, with a MM list called fred-list this would lead to MM
> > executing the following command and piping the message text to STDIN for
> > the subprocess:
> >
> >     'lurker-index -l fred-list -c /etc/lurker/lurker.conf -m'
>
>ok, some explanation: i'm the debian maintainer of lurker and i wrote
>a little wrapper for lurker-index that automaticly uses the config file.
>so only 'lurker-index -l fred-list -m' is needed.
>
> > It seems your trouble is with the fancy footwork you are trying to perform
> > with lurker-list, grep and head to translate a mailman-proper-listname
> to a
> > short-lurker-listname.
>
>doesn't look so. when i set in mm_cfg.py:
>PUBLIC_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER = "echo foobar"
>mailman still grumbles:
>==> /var/log/mailman/error <==
>Jun 17 13:26:59 2003 (1464) external archiver non-zero exit status: 1
>
>so that seems not to be a problem of lurker.

I do not want to get into a contest but for me the following work fine when
added to mm_cfg.py on my MM 2.1.2 backup/test server:

PUBLIC_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER = 'echo "got called for %(listname)s" | cat >>
/tmp/teststuff'
PRIVATE_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER = 'echo "got called for %(listname)s" | cat >>
/tmp/teststuff'

appends a line containing the target listname to the file for each archived
message, while:

PUBLIC_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER = 'cat >> /tmp/teststuff'
PRIVATE_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER = 'cat >> /tmp/teststuff'

appends each archived message to the file.

As I said before, it is far from clear to me that your problem is a Mailman
problem per se.

I'm inclined to think that getting these test cases to work would be a
useful first objective.

Is the failure to execute the external archiver command correctly some
execution environment issue which I do not see (running Suse Linux 7.3 with
Python 2.2.2 and MM 2.1.2 installed from source) but you do see when
running, presumably, Debian?

Maybe it is an enviroment problem when the extranl command