[Mailman-Users] Logging question...

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Tue Jun 17 17:34:38 CEST 2003

At 16:14 17/06/2003, Glenn Sieb wrote:
>Hey everyone.. running MM 2.1 on FreeBSD 4.8 with Postfix/AMaViS/SpamAssassin
>
>I had a user ask me why an email she sent never got posted to a list she's
>a proper member of.. so I went to investigate.. saw that yes, she indeed
>posted a message, it hit my SMTP, went through SA/AMaViS and through to
>Mailman, but it never went anywhere from there.
>
>So.. I went to look at the Mailman logs... they're um.. well.. empty.
>
>My guess is it is a perms thing... they're mostly owned by mailman:mailman
>with perms of 644, except for subscribe which is owned by www:mailman
>perms of 644
>
>What are the proper permissions for the log files in /usr/local/mailman/logs?

Usually 0664 for the files in $prefix/logs but the best way to get this
right is by running '$prefix/bin/check_perms -f' as either root or the
mailman user. This makes sure the setgid bit on directories are also
correct. I usually stop mailmanctl and the local MTA while check_perms is
doing its fix thing.