[Lurker-users] Re: [Mailman-Users] external archiver second time

Jonas Meurer jonas at freesources.org
Tue Jun 17 20:51:30 CEST 2003

On 17/06/2003 Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> I agree with Richard; this is too much work. Personally I would just not
> bother. If the user has more than 32 characters in a mailman mailing list
> name, just emit a warning on config generation and drop that list.
>
> This failure case is so rare that it makes no sense to execute all this
> shell hackery for all lists. The user can manually create a rule for the
> long lists if he is so inclined. Just document the warning and work-around.
>
> BTW, the short url is only one of the reasons I limit the length. =)

mh, i think that's the best solution. when i look at some archives,
lurker-list will give quite a lot of output.
but as I wrote, even without the lurker-list stuff (giving the listname
directly to lurker) doesn't work atm.

> > > Personally, if I thought it was worth the effort to have these
> > > abbrieviated list names I'd find a better method of doing that mapping
> > > than using grep.
>
> Indeed; I didn't really intend for lurker-list to be used in this manner.
> Besides, all list fields other than the id are not guaranteed to be unique
> anyways...

in fact, i didn't ever like the idea of using lurker-list for that, but
waited for some better ideas. since there are no suggestions, i will
delete this acronym creation code and simply do as you wrote above.

> > doesn't look so. when i set in mm_cfg.py:
> > PUBLIC_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER = "echo foobar"
> > mailman still grumbles:
> > ==> /var/log/mailman/error <==
> > Jun 17 13:26:59 2003 (1464) external archiver non-zero exit status: 1
> >
> > so that seems not to be a problem of lurker.
>
> That convinces me, but I am biased. :-)
>
> I presume lurker-index is working outside of mailman?
> Does mailman set any child-enforced resource limits ala postfix?

that would be interesting. lurker-index is working quite good outside of
mailman with exactly this syntax. just giving no message to lurker-index
causes no error but ends in lurker-index idling to infinity. so, doesn't
look like the message delivery is the problem, but something else, like
child-enforced resource limits ;)

bye
 mejo

--