[Mailman-Users] error

Mike Kercher mike at CamaroSS.net
Sun Jun 22 23:05:25 CEST 2003

Did you 'make install' after you reconfigured?

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: mailman-users-bounces+mike=camaross.net at python.org
[mailto:mailman-users-bounces+mike=camaross.net at python.org] On Behalf Of
Webmaster - CyberTwinks
Sent: Sunday, June 22, 2003 3:52 PM
To: mailman-users at python.org
Subject: [Mailman-Users] error

Hi Richard,

Examining the error of my ways, I changed added the following to the
mm_cfg.py file:

SMTPHOST = 'media.(myhost).net
SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 10

I got the email when I created a new list, when I clicked on the link to go
to my page I got this error

Mailman CGI error!!!
The expected gid of the Mailman CGI wrapper did not match the gid as set by
the Web server. The most likely cause is that Mailman was configured and
installed incorrectly. Please read the INSTALL instructions again, paying
close attention to the --with-cgi-gid configure option. This entry is being
stored in your syslog:

Failure to exec script. WANTED gid 99, GOT gid 80.  (Reconfigure to take
80?)

I tried to reconfigure, but I don't think I am typing the command right

this is my server:

Port 80
User http
Group http

this is what I am putting in

./configure --with-cgi-gid=80

Rod

At 18:29 22/06/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>At 15:08 22/06/2003, Webmaster - CyberTwinks wrote:
>> >Have you checked the Mailman logs (? in $prefix/logs/)
>>in the smtp-failure my e-mail address is listed as ignore
>
>What did the log entry look like? Post the text of it rather than
>assuming
>people can guess what it says.
>

>> > your web server logs (? in /var/httpd/)
>>don't show anything from yesterday, they are cycled daily I want it
>>that way
>
>I cycle logs but keep a week of backlog for precisely this sort of
>occassion. In any event what does today's log say when you try to access
>the Mailman URIs and which URIs are you trying?
>

>> >mail server logs (? /var/log/maillog)
>>there was nothing in these logs to indicate a problem
>
>Are you running
>
>1. MM 2.1.x and if so have you run mailmanctl
>
>2. MM 2.0.x and if so have you installed the mailman user crontab
>

>> >Give all that a whirl and then repost with a bit more detail,
>> >without
which
>> >helping you is quite difficult.
>> >

>Which bit of "a bit more detail" is causing the problem. Please reread
>my
>there is not much anyone can do to help you.
>
>I previously said:
>
>At 12:42 22/06/2003, Richard Barrett wrote:
>>At 02:09 22/06/2003, Webmaster - CyberTwinks wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>Just installed the Mailman script on my server, I am getting a 404
>>>when I go to the Mailing list page,  I don't get any email when I
>>>create a new list, and I add to the aliases file, but it is not
>>>recognised.  Can anyone help here
>>
>>How did you install what version of Mailman running with what version
>>of
>>Python under what operating system?
>>
>>Have you followed all the instruction in the INSTALL text file in the
>>Mailman build directory and have you taken a look at:
>>
>>     Mailman FAQ: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py
>
>You can also add to the list of questions:
>
>1. what did you add to your Apache httpd.conf
>
>2. what URI returned the 404 response
>
>As you initially posted to mailman-users, it is both courteous and
>advisable to copy the list with your response so that other list members
>can contribute to finding a solution to your problem or learn about any
>problems you have found and possible solutions to them.

>----
---
http://www.openinfo.co.uk