[Mailman-Users] qmail and mailman

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Mon Jun 23 23:01:19 CEST 2003

At 21:41 23/06/2003, Webmaster - CyberTwinks wrote:

>I would like to know how mailman is supposed to work with qmail located on
>another server.  My server doesn't have qmail installed on it.  I know I am
>a newbie to this.  I was hoping that someone can help me with this problem.
>  I have the contrib directory installed with the program using version 2.1.2

The machine running Mailman must also run an MTA to deliver incoming mail
to Mailman. An MTA on another machine cannot deliver mail to Mailman
regardless of what software that MTA is.

The setup of the Mailman local MTA for various type of MTA software,
including qmail, is described in the various README.<mta> files in the
Mailman build directory. Read on.

Using SMTPDirect, Mailman can use potentially any SMTP server to send its
outgoing mail, the SMTPHOST configuration variable in mm_cfg.py determining
which SMTP server it uses. Being SMTP it doesn't really matter what MTA
software is running on that SMTP server.