[Mailman-Users] messages aren't being delivered to users, but are in the archive

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Wed Jun 25 00:19:46 CEST 2003

At 22:08 24/06/2003, jacob walcik wrote:
>yup, the mailman user's crontab was installed as part of the rpm
>installation, and i've also tried running qrunner manually w/ the
>command it's issuing, and i don't receive any errors.
>
>assuming mailman's home is /var/mailman, where would i look for the
>"qfiles" file.  a "find ./ -name "qfiles" -print" from /var/mailman
>doesn't return anything.

Given your install in /var/mailman and a normal MM 2.0.x install there
should be a directory called /var/mailman/qfiles. The script in
/var/mailman/scripts takes delivery of incoming messages from the MTA
creates a .msg and a .db file in that directory. The qrunner subsequently
takes those files and processes them, sending mail out etc.

The actual qfiles directory used for enqueueing incoming messages is
defined by the config variable QUEUE_DIR in $prefx/Mailman/Defaults.py or
possibly (and unusually) overridden $prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py. If that
directory doesn't exist then something in your install may be screwed.

But looking again at your original post you say the message is getting into
the archives. That says the message is passing through qfiles, being picked
up by the qrunner and so you would expect there to be some trace of its
progress in one of Mailman's log files.

But you say the directory says $prefix/logs doesn't exist. The log file
directory is defined by the config variable LOG_DIR in
$prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py or possibly (and unusually) overridden
$prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py. If that directory doesn't exist then something
in your install may be screwed.

What value does the config variable DELIVERY_MODULE in
$prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py or possibly overridden
$prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py have and also SMTPHOST.

Are there are no logs and no sign of what is happening exists in MM's
error, post, smtp and smtp-failure logs.