[Mailman-Users] Removal of all body attachments in immediateadmin notification emails

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Thu Jun 26 13:13:36 CEST 2003

At 22:05 06/06/2003, Steve Werby wrote:
>"John DeCarlo" <jdecarlo at mitre.org> wrote:
> > In <mailmandir>/Mailman/Handlers, there is a file called Hold.py.
><snip>
> > The one reading 'nmsg.attach(MIMEMessage(msg))' is the part where the
> > actual message being moderated is attached.
> >
> > Therefore, I conclude that commenting out that line will prevent the
> > notification message from having the original message as an attachment.
></snip>
>
>John, it worked perfectly.  For the benefit of the archives, note that I had
>to restart Mailman for the changes to take effect.
>
>I think some list admins will want to keep the body attachment so I may work
>on a hack when I get some time.  The listname variable is available in the
>module so worst case I should be able to hard-code listnames in some control
>structure, though I'll probably try to create a text file of listnames that
>can be looped through.  I'm not a Python programmer, but I program in other
>languages so I'm optimistic I can learn to write the necessary code quickly.
>If I make any progress I'll post to the list.
>
>--
>Steve Werby
>President, Befriend Internet Services LLC
>http://www.befriend.com/

Your post got me thinking about this as I also have a minor problem with
moderation of oversize messages on some lists.

I have posted a patch for MM 2.1.2 which also adds an extra per-list
attribute to control attachment of the moderated messages's body (or not)
with a new option on the General Option's page of the list admin web GUI. See:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=300103&aid=760567&group_id=103

Gentlemen, thanks for the idea of how to deal with this issue.

Note that because of the extra per-list attribute, I have had to change the
DATA_FILE_VERSION so that existing lists get the extra attribute
automatically added. This just means that the DATA_FILE_VERSION set by the
patch may have to be updated to be applicable for the next MM release if
the patch is not incorporated by Barry Warsaw into the next release.