[Mailman-Users] Mailman/Held Messages for Admin

Dave Stern - Former Rocket Scientist dave at umiacs.umd.edu
Sun Mar 2 18:20:55 CET 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Ingrid Kast Fuller wrote:

> Is there anyway to SELECT ALL and REJECT ALL in the Held messages for the
> admin.  Our list is getting so many spams, I have to click one by one thru
> 136 messages to get rid of all of them.  Is there another way to delete
> them. Maybe I just need to know where the HELD messages are and delete them
> in Unix.  Please let me know if you know the solution by direct email to
> this address. Thanks.

I set up a script that drains the que. It first shows the subject of each:

Define your mailman prefix  and then

cd $PREFIX/data
for listname in `ls heldmsg-*|sed 's/heldmsg-//' | \
   sed 's/\-[0-9]*\.txt*//'| sort -u `

do
  echo "Messages queued to list $listname"
  egrep "^From:|^Subject:"  *$listname*
  echo "drain que? (y/n) "
  read  ans
    case $ans in
       Y|YES|y|yes)
           cp $PREFIX/request-template.db \
              $PREFIX/lists/$listname/request.db
           rm $PREFIX/data/heldmsg-$listname*
            ;;
       *)
          continue
           ;;
     esac
done

Note the request-template.db which is just an empty request.db from one
of the un-queued-up lists.

 David Stern                                            University of Maryland
                Institute for Advanced Computer Studies