[Mailman-Users] 2.0.11 to 2.1.1 (Thoughts?)

Warren Woodward scratch at xmission.com
Thu Mar 6 23:29:06 CET 2003

:We're about to update our Mailman from 2.0.11 to 2.1.1.  It's a production
server with about 200 individually operated lists (no, we don't charge for
the service).  I'll be generally handling the list owner support during
the upgrade, and you can imagine my fears.

Everything seems to suggest that the update will go cleanly, and I've
watched with interest the first-hand reports of the experience over the
last 6 months or so which mostly reflect that.  But, well, I'm paranoid.

So, with that in mind, what should I be watching for?  Will all the list
configs transfer cleanly? Many, many of these have been tweaked to an
announce-only format, which seems to require some slightly different
config options in 2.1.1. Also, new options like personalization, will
these be automatically enabled on existing lists, or set off by default?
Will my list owners need to comb their lists before going back into
production, or should it be completely transparent, or something
in between?

And this makes me wonder if anyone here has thoughts about what specific
changes have had the most impact on their lists.  I mean, I'm aware of the
changes through watching this list and messing with my own test install,
but I'm particularly interested in real-world experiences.  I intend to
inform all my list owners of some of the new features in 2.1.1 that are
not currently available, but I'd like to keep it minimal, so what have you
all found the most useful?  What should I have them watch out for, and
encourage them to put into use?  What newbie questions do I need to be
prepared for?

Thanks for any input.

 --
warren woodward
XMission DSL
warrenw at xmission.com
(801) 303-0819
(877) XMISSION

"The United States, as the world knows, will never start a war."
			-JFK, American University, June 10, 1963