[Mailman-Users] Private archive is public after migration!

Ramon Cahenzli rca at spin.ch
Fri Mar 7 15:20:49 CET 2003

Hello

I recently had to migrate from one machine to the other, and thought a
mailman upgrade might be in order too. So I installed 2.1.1 on a stock
RedHat 8.0 with the sendmail 8.12.8 security update. I copied the lists/*
and archives/* directories over to the new box. Using ./withlist -l -r
fix_url (list) and ./arch (list) for every list, I made sure the archives
are up to date and that the URLs for everything are okay.

Things worked nicely. All the lists are active again, the web interface
works etc. However, there are two problems with the archives:

- Out of all the private archives, one is public!
- When viewing list archives by author or subject, every single entry in
every archive is printed twice. In thread view, things are okay.

The first problem is the deadlier one. 9 of the lists have private
archives set up, but only 8 of them work. The list is not available at
http://foo.bar/pipermail/listname/, but it's available just fine for
the archives are marked as "for list members only", but the link lets
anyone view them.

I tried toggling private archiving on and off for this list, but it
doesn't change anything except making the required symlinks and showing
the archive under /pipermail.

The duplicate archive entry problem would be nice to solve too, but this
private archive thing is clearly more important. Is there anything I
could've overlooked while migrating? It's odd because everything else
works perfectly and I haven't had any negative feedback from list
maintainers.

Thanks a lot.

Ramon