[Mailman-Users] error from unexpected interaction -- p13n and hi-bit chars

Mitchell Marks mitchell at cuip.net
Fri Mar 7 16:11:00 CET 2003

(MM 2.1.1)

Hello all, perhaps someone can suggest a better way around the problem
reported below, or can tell me it should be files as a bug report.

I'm getting an "ordinal not in range(128)" error just when both:
         -- the list has personalization On (and uses the fullname and
address variables)
         -- the message body contains an 8-bit character

When this error happens, I can unshunt the messages after changing the list
settings for personalization to Off, and they will go through.  (Also I've,
umm, hand-edited the held message pickle and can sometimes replace the
high-bit character with something appropriate and get a successful
unshunt.)  The identical original message does go through unproblematically
on lists which don't have personalization On at all in the first place.

thanks,

Mitch

Here's an example of the full error trace:

Mar 07 07:38:28 2003 (25823) SHUNTING:
1046967232.822697+0a550a000e6baf9f45273ab837da97ce992d4cb8
Mar 07 07:38:28 2003 (25823) Uncaught runner exception: ASCII decoding
error: ordinal not in range
(128)
Mar 07 07:38:28 2003 (25823) Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 105, in _oneloop
     self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 155, in _onefile
     keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/OutgoingRunner.py", line 61, in
_dispose
     self._func(mlist, msg, msgdata)
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py", line 140, in
process
     deliveryfunc(mlist, msg, msgdata, envsender, refused, conn)
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py", line 273, in
verpdeliver
     Decorate.process(mlist, msgcopy, msgdata)
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Decorate.py", line 89, in process
     payload = header + frontsep + oldpayload + endsep + footer
UnicodeError: ASCII decoding error: ordinal not in range(128)

--
Mitchell Marks
CUIP Tech Coordinator    http://cuip.uchicago.edu

Telephone:  Ofc 773-702-6041
         Fax 702-8212
         Home (v.m. only, ok any time) 241-7166
Email: Primary address: mitch at cuip.uchicago.edu
         Alternate UofC addresses (use especially to report problems with
cuip.uchicago.edu): mitchell at cs.uchicago.edu and mmar at midway.uchicago.edu
         Off-campus (ISP) address: mmarks at pobox.com

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you are still a rat."
   -- Attributed to Lily Tomlin